Saturday, November 05, 2011

Hurricane Irene isn't the only weather crisis in Connecticut. The state has also had an earth quake and a tornado. Damage is everywhere. Then the Autumn Northeaster hit. There are still leaves on the trees. The ground is saturated with water from the hurricane. FEMA sets up camp in our state.

When the northeaster storm hit, the wet snow weighed down tree branches. They broke. There are limbs and trunks everywhere. Trees bring down power lines. About two thirds of the state is without power. With live lines down, Halloween is cancelled. It is too dangerous to send young children out trick or treating. This is the first time in history that Halloween has been cancelled.

I am fortunate. Milford is fine. The new drain system and sump pump works fine thanks to Budget Dry. It keeps the beach house nice and dry. Lights and heat work. I have hot water thanks to TriCity. The replaced the furnace and hot water tank after the hurricane.

The main house is also safe and dry.

Then the phone rings: The tenants with the new toilet have called to tell me that their basement is flooded. They are losing their possessions stored down there. The water may rise to take out the furnace and hot water tank. Did I not just go through with this problem only a month before? At the beach house? It is happening again. I can't believe this.

My tenant is patient. This is a good family to work with. I give them every break I can to keep them happy. In return, they take good care of this house. Together , We will solve this problem.

The little Honda generator goes into my truck along with an extension cord and a gallon of gasoline. My tenant starts up the generator, plugs in the sump pump and it pumps out the water. I am so glad I bought the generator. The next door neighbor, who has power, runs another extension cord. The tenant can have a light and maybe a space heater upstairs. I am surprised at how much water is being pumped out of the basement. It rushes out like a river. In fact, there is a little stream on the property. It is swollen with run off from the hurricane. The ground is saturated. There is no where for the water to go except in the basement.

This is a situation that can not be ignored. As much as I don't want to pay for another drain system, I have to make the call. I call Budget Dry. They come out and design a much better drain system plus sump pump with battery backup. This will replace the existing system. This system can run for 6 days on battery back up. That should be long enough to carry over until the utility company can turn the power back on. I sign the contract.

The new system will be installed in two weeks. The old pump has to last only two weeks more. It doesn't. It is burning out. My tenant is down stairs manually plugging in the pump and then pulling the plug when the well is drained. If He didn't do that, the pump would run continually and burn out. The choice is either flood or fire. Some choice.

Something has to be done right now. Can We borrow a pump from the plumber? Will Budget Dry reschedule us for tomorrow? This is an emergency. Both John, my now favorite plumber and Budget Dry call us back. John can't get a pump. The supply store is closed for the night. However, Budget Dry will be there at 9AM in the morning.

I see the cash register go ching ching....money disappearing, but what choice is there? My tenants have been very patient about all of this. I feel the need to refund part of their month's rent to compensate them for this inconvenience. They very gratefully accept my offer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home