Monday, September 12, 2011

When Richard and I bought our house on Melba Street, the real estate agent said We would have to have flood insurance. My house is on a flood plane. It was $80 a year...a little expensive for us, but in order to have a mortgage, We bought flood insurance.

Years later, mortgage is paid off. There is a flood. It was so extensive that claims adjusters were brought in from out of state. The adjuster asked me where did the water come from? Did it break through a window or door? No. The door and windows were fine. My guess was it came through the floor drain...just my guess. The adjuster said that I did not have a flood. I had rising ground water. Claim denied.

I looked at this flood and knew it was the kind that occurs in my area. The mortgage was paid off, so I did not renew the floor insurance. Instead, I added "rising ground water" to my homeowners insurance. It lasted a few years. Then insurance companies stopped offering it.

Instead, my agent added hurricane insurance to my policy. Hurricane Irene stopped by and visited my in law apartment downstairs. I had water and the damage that comes from water. See my blog for parts 1 through 7 on Hurricane Irene.

I called my agent and learned that I am not covered for the damage my house sustained. Hurricane insurance covers wind driven damage only. Claim denied. I asked him what it would cost for me to add flood insurance? He said it will cost me over $1,300 a year in addition to the cost of my homeowners policy. I can't afford this.

I've paid out thousands of dollars for insurance coverage. When I have a claim, I find out I am not covered. I am wondering why I have insurance anyways.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

I have the same gripe about insurance. You get it to protect yourself, and then if you make a claim, whether or not they pay out, your insurance premiums go up. They always look for a way to deny your claim. We have insurance because we have to, by law. I just hope we never have to use it.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Gary said...

My chimney seperated by about three inches from the house after a bad noreaster. I called my agent and he sent out a mason. The mason said that the footing was done poorly and he would advise not paying.

There you go, insurance not paying, wonderful.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home