Sunday, September 04, 2011

How did the shop vac work when there is no electricity? Ernesto unhooked the Fire Department's pump. He plugged in my shop vac to the Fire Department's generator. Such genius!
There is debris everywhere. There is not much I can do without electricity except to clean up the debris. A pile grows at the curb, similar to piles being added to by my neighbors. My next door neighbor has swept a mountain of mud from his garage and driveway. To it I add a soggy and broken TV stand, debris that was driven in by wind and rain. My across the street neighbor has lost their central air conditioner, shingles and a riser from their steps. The riser is in my yard. Police cars patrol up and down the road, presumably to stop looters. Public Works trucks and Fire Trucks are all over the street. One neighbor has a medical emergency. Add an ambulance, another Fire truck, and several more Policemen to the Frey.
I had put masking tape on my new patio doors to distribute any wind gusts on the glass. No broken glass , thank goodness. The tape can come down, but my! the glass is dirty with salt water smear mixed with dirt and bits of mulch from the garden.
My cell phone is missing. I look everywhere for it. I need my phone to arrange for a cleaning crew. It is needed to call the company that installed my drain system and sump pump. Chris , while in my house during the storm, reported that the pump worked beautifully, until our utility company cut power. Then it continued working for 3 hours on battery backup. If I had my emergency generator in place, I would have avoided the damage I now survey.
The phone is working at my other house. I called Budget Dry. They told me that the pump is designed to work with clean water. If I turn on the pump with salt water and mud, the pump will get clogged, burn out and void the warranty. I make an appointment to have the sump pump cleaned. Its another bill not covered by insurance.
The Second call is to Service Pro...a cleaning service. Some people called this company in the middle of the hurricane. They are first on the list. How far down am I on the list? If I wait for them, the water will continue to do damage. There is nothing to do accept face the fact that I must start cleaning as soon as the power comes back on.
Before the hurricane, I'd moved smaller pieces of furniture upstairs where it was safe and dry. Now I moved arm chairs. An inspection of the bed and table shows they just made it above the high water line. I do not have to throw out the mattress. Their feet will dry out OK, I hope.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Backup Generators are custom generator manufacturers. We offer a complete generator solution within one company. All our generators are built to our customers’ exact requirements to satisfy your individual needs.

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home