Monday, September 12, 2011

This is a blog in praise of our Police, Fire and Public Works departments. During the hurricane, they activated their emergency response plan. It worked. After my evacuation, the Police and National Guard blocked off the area to prevent looting. There was looting, I was told.

When the water was low enough, I was allowed back in. Right along with me, were the Public Works crews. Bull dozers worked to clear the sand from the road. Other crews picked up the debris. Others cut up downed trees, making the way for the utility companies to repair downed power lines. There were trucks everywhere. I bet the crews worked 12 hour shifts...sometimes sleeping in the trucks...to catch a quick nap when fatigue overcame them.

My problem was water. How do I get it out of my house without power? I called the Fire Department. They sent over a team that hooked up a gas generator and a submersible pump. Turned it on and away it went. I loved to see the water go out. I loved that little Honda Generator, that I ordered one for myself...just in case there is another flood.

In the middle of this, someone down the street became ill. An ambulance and crew responded. I can't think of another facet of city government that wasn't activated during this emergency. Even the mayor was on the phone with a recorded message reporting on the progress of the clean up and what homeowners should do.

All in all, the emergency response plan worked out just fine. Our city officials were prepared and minimized the damage from Hurricane Irene.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Gary said...

I'm glad you were satisfied with the response.

I'm generally not impressed with police and overtime. Say you see a bonehead police officer directing traffic on overtime. Typically done on roadwork and such. Say the police officer is making $40 an hour for overtime, times 8 hours. That is $320 for the day. Then, they retire, at a minumum of 50% pay for the average three years. Take that $320 divide by three about $107 and then take 50%. That's $53.50 every year for the rest of their lives. Many police retire after 25 years that's 60% and still in their 40's. Okay, they live another 30 years. That one job is costing the taxpayer $1500-$1750 lifetime not including the raises that will increase the bottom line.

Emergency response, fair, but all the overtime directing traffic, weddings, basketball games are a tragedy to the taxpayer.

Sorry for the rant, but it is my pet peeve.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home