Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The trip was postponed in early February because of bad Buffalo weather. It got rescheduled in the middle of March. I started out on clear roads for driving, but in the middle of the week, a large storm came up from the south. Weather cancelled half my plans. Don't get me started. The good news is I learned how rich in friends I am. My cousin and aunt could not have been any nicer to me. My cousin Don went way out of his way to locate a cap for my truck. He came with me to the camper store and kept me in conversation while the cap was installed. In Syracuse, friends gathered just because I was in town. Such a tribute leaves me humbled. I had side trips to Erie Pa and to Ontario Canada. Interesting experiences, but I won't elaborate now.
Coming home: It took several days for me to recover my energy. I didn't get sick. Instead, I just got tired. My truck doesn't have cruise control, nor a tilt wheel. As a result, I had to hold my foot on the accelerator pedal...for one thousand five hundred miles. My foot got tired! I arrived home, limping.
Today, I am finally back into my projects. Saw Spence about selling off some of the antiques. Called the oil company to send a repair man: the humidifier fell off the furnace. Called a landscaper to help set up a new bed and move plants away from the foundation. I am making progress.
Then I spotted them...the little black dots on the sink. I have a mouse in my kitchen. I like the little mice We had when my daughters were in nursery school. We raised them, domesticated them. By the time We're sick of them...about two years...they die of old age. Mice are a good pet. But not in my kitchen, peeing in my silverware drawer.
I hate to do this, but I set traps in the silverware drawer. All the silverware is freshly washed with bleach in the water. The traps are baited with peanut butter and carefully placed in the empty drawer. I feel guilty. They are such a beautiful animal in miniature...tiny noses, little eyes, intelligence peeking out at me. A perfect creature just trying to get along in life. If We have a mouse in the house, it is usually in the fall when the weather gets cold. They just want to get to a warm place. Why is this mouse here now, when spring is here? I know it is a female, because the males stink to high heaven. I can't have a litter of mice in my walls. A second and third trap are set under the sink. I hear a snap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home