Monday, December 11, 2006

The funeral was Saturday. I wore my black dress and heels. First time I've worn that outfit in a long time. There was no body to view. Instead, on a table at the front...sort of an alter, were symbols of my neighbor. There were fishing poles, a folded flag representing his service in world war two...and photographs. In the reception area, was a display of photos taken at various times of his life. I knew only the old man, not the young man in some of the photos. His family was there...six children and one ex-wife. They had a wonderful relationship even though they were divorced. Dee paid his bills, as Bob was disorganized. Dee has ocular degeneration, so Bob drove her to her hair appointments and to the doctors. Dee gathered her family around her...all three children. It seems that Bob had been married before and has three children from the previous marriage. The first hour was a reception and greeting. Condolences went to family and friends.

The second hour was a religious service. Half way through the service, the minister invited family and friends to speak. I was one of the speakers. Most funeral services don't make me feel any better about losing a good friend. This one did. It is interesting to hear other people speak of their experiences. It shows another side of a many faceted man.

We went to a public room in a local motel for the reception. I bet that Suzie was in charge of organizing it, because it was very well organized. The food was plentiful and varied. Music played. There were flowers. There was time to hug people...and to get to know other people from out of town. I think I made several new friends. Since Dee still lives here, they will be back for family events. Perhaps they will show up at the house across the street where Bob used to live.

The following day, the family met at the Buckingham Bridge where Bob used to fish. Per his request, they put his ashes into the water. Hat took pictures and sent one to me via E-mail. The family went to Hat's house, but Spence and I are not family. We went to Maxine's for breakfast...same as what Bob would have done.

So far, I haven't lost it. Then I did. Dee and Barbara came to my house unexpectedly. They gave me a poinsettia, just like Bob did every Christmas. They went to Tina's house, too. She got a poinsettia as well...just like Bob used to give her for Christmas. I keep my Christmas plants all year and get them to turn red for another Christmas. As I was putting my plant from last year into the closet for conditioning in the dark, I thought that it would be the last plant I would ever get from my neighbor. Then Dee and Barbara came to the door with this year's plant. I was overwhelmed by the plant, by the lovely family that reached out to me when they are the ones needing comforting. Surely mercy and goodness shall follow us all the days of our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home