Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year! We have the opportunity for a fresh start, but I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. Instead, make an effort every day to resist bad habits, substituting a better more efficient more satisfying way of living.

When I was younger, I would party with friends until the sun comes up...or until 3 AM when eyelids would start to close. This no longer appeals to me. I work hard on my goal to stay healthy and drinking too much works against my plan.

Instead , I had a Harry Potter experience. I took the whole day off, leaving chores undone, bills unpaid, phone calls not returned. The local bookstore had the Rowling # 6 book...the half blood prince. It came home with me. There is nothing so wonderful than escaping every day life by going into another world created by a gifted author. I had read books 1 through 5 and so I was anticipating book 6 ...started reading the first two chapters, then realized that there were references to the earlier books....details I could not remember. Put down 6. Picked up 5 and skimmed it to refresh my memory. Ah, got it. Picked up book 6 and plunged in. It took all day to review book 5 and get partially into book 6. This is a wonderful experience to live vicariously through the characters in the book. There are so many characters, that I thought about writing out a list of them ...just to refer to the list when the character reappears. Then I decided that this is not necessary, as the main characters were clear to me, and as the secondary characters reappeared, the author gave flash backs so the reader could make the connection....good writing. Good reading.

I am enjoying The Half Blood Prince...looking forward to the 7th and last book in this series. I will probably be disappointed that the series will end. When you enjoy a character, you want it (him or her) to keep on having adventures so you can enjoy the adventure, too.

When all of the books have been made into movies, I will probably purchase the set so that my grandchildren can watch them on my TV.

After the book is finished, it is time to face quarterly income tax payments...and the January property taxes. Yuck. Reality can't hold a candle to fantasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home