Friday, January 19, 2007

Andy is out of the hospital. A few days ago, I had a meeting with his social worker. We planned on his discharge yesterday. It is my job to get Andy to the shelter where he will live temporarily, until subsidized group housing becomes available. Barbara (social worker) did a good job of patching together a plan for Andy. He has a place to sleep, a place to eat, a place to socialize and get out of the cold. We supplied him with maps that locate all his resources. There is a clinic for him to use if he becomes ill. There is an administrative office that coordinates all the services for my grandson. His script is covered by Medicare, minus a co-pay.
Yesterday, I picked up Andy, sat through the discharge meeting with Andy's doctor, waited at the pharmacy for his prescription. I paid the co-pay. (Andy paid me back today.) Then We drove into New Haven to find the shelter. Andy was told He had to be in line by 4PM or they may run out of available beds. We went to the address We were given, but We saw no sign on the building and there was no line of men waiting to get in. Driving around the building, driving around the block, looking for a correct door, proved fruitless. We were mystified and the clock was approaching the cut off hour. Fortunately, some men were on the front porch of a house nearby. They told Andy that the shelter has moved. (The social worker did not know this.) The neighbors gave us the directions to the new location. Andy just made it. Some of the other men took Andy in hand, offering to get him breakfast in the morning. Seeing that my grandson was going to be OK, I left for home. We made an agreement that I would meet him at this location in mid-morning. I was to pick him up and drive him around for errands: cash check, pay bills, buy clothes...etc.
The next day, I have to wait for a contractor to switch hinges on the newly installed exterior door. That is another story for another day. When the contractor left, I raced into New Haven. Andy wasn't at our agreed upon spot. I waited. A man went into the building. Is the building open during daylight hours? I went inside. There are no clients in the building. A social worker gave me the address and phone number...and directions to Friendship House. This is the place where Andy is to spent his day. They serve a free lunch. There are work therapy programs , social workers...and lots of people to socialize with. Could Andy be there? I drove the distance. He's not there. Drive back to the shelter. He's not there, either. OK, Andy. The ball is in your court. You can contact me.
I drive home. At Kinkos, I make a copy of the city that Andy needs to be know well enough to get around. I use a highlighter on the main roads and stickers with the names of the buildings and addresses. At home: Andy has left a message on my answering machine: He's up at the mall. It seems He took a bus to the mall, enjoying his freedom to move around both cities. And I was worried that he might get lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home