Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter was fun. I spent the weekend with my daughter and her family. Don and I spent all of Saturday shopping for groceries. We stuffed the refrigerator and the freezer. Then, We all went out to our favorite restaurant. There was twice as much food as I could eat in a meal....and should not eat in a meal. Most of my dinner went into a take out box. The truck was so cold, the food stayed fresh without benefit of Beth's refrigerator.
Anthony spent Easter morning with us. Later both Anthony and Robert went to their other grandmothers for Easter dinner. Don did the cooking at Beth's house because he likes to cook. We ate the traditional ham with potatoes and vegetables. We were so full of food, no one wanted dessert.
What to do with the rest of the day? We went to the movies to see The Bank Job. It was a fascinating movie with far more implications than a simple bank robbery. I will let you see the movie for yourself and not tell you how it ends. I will say that I was satisfied with the ending.
My plan was to drive home on Monday, but Ginny and Frank wanted me to spent the day, so I did. Us retirees don't have to worry about work schedules any more. Ginny and I knitted while watching TV....knitting is an activity We both enjoy. Ginny knits mittens and hats for charity. I like it that my long time friend is still making a volunteer contribution for our community. Frank is active, too. They are all ways busy. I am knitting a sweater in navy blue. Ginny and I discussed various ways of casting stitches on. I don't like my method very well and I don't understand Ginny's. Guess this means I need a knitting lesson.
After dinner, We watched a DVD movie and I went to bed in their guest room. How nice that old friends are really glad to see me. I feel the same way about them.
Some sad news: I lived in the old neighborhood for 20 years. Many of the same neighbors still live there. We are all getting older. Two of my neighbors have Alzheimer's disease and a third is deceased. He is my age. This is getting scary....so close to ...what? dying?
The old neighborhood is a tract. Most of the houses are a variation on one or two floor plans. We all had Youngstown Kitchen cabinets. Ginny and Frank redid their kitchen years ago, but some of their old cabinets are still in the house. My friends gave me their cabinets. Hurray. I have more cabinets to take home and to install in my kitchen. One of them is a base cabinet. This project is getting closer to completion. When it is done, I will remember the good people who were part of the project. I will see Ginny and Frank in memory every time I look at their cabinets now installed in my kitchen, refinished at the local auto body shop.
The question now is, where will Frank put all his tools, now that I have the cabinets He was using? Frank says not to worry.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Yikes - who in the old neighborhood has Alzheimer's? I think that's what I worry about most about getting old. I expect my body to fall apart, and I expect to get a little forgetful, but Alzheimer's is just too sad for words. I want to at least remember who my family is.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home