Monday, January 28, 2008

It is the political campaign season...going on much too long. Why can't We campaign like the British do? They campaign for much shorter periods of time and spend a lot less money. Never the less, their political offices get filled. I can't see a quality difference between their politicians and ours. Therefore, We could shorten this process and spend a lot less money...money that could be used for social services or the arts.
The candidates seem much the same. No one stands out as a statesman. Differences this time around are a woman candidate and an African American. Perhaps We are making progress to be including representation for other than white males.
I considered voting for the woman, then changed my mind. There is no one on this earth who wants equality for woman more than I do. My personal experience includes blatant discrimination that stunted my career. I wonder if I was being paid comparable wages to the men holding the same position that I held. I doubt it. Since personnel information is a secret, I will never know. It isn't worth a law suit to me to uncover this information.
The woman running for the office of the President of the United States is a strong personality. Unfortunately, she represents the status quo. If she gets the office, I suspect that nothing will change. Senator Clinton's career is made with giant leaps. She was elected as senator in New York with no experience with the state at all. Just buy a house and wait out your time. Go figure the voters in New York. She has no history in that state at all. Now, she would be our president. This is too fast for me. I would rather see women in many offices. Some could be judges, some governors, some senators. When the ratio of men to women in office is about 50/50, there will be a large pool of candidates to via for the highest office. It will be easy to vote for the best candidate, regardless of gender . As of now, I can't vote for a candidate on the basis of gender. We all should be gender and color blind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home