Thursday, February 28, 2008

The floor man just left. I think I will put my feet up for the rest of the day. Why do I get sick in the middle of projects? Could it be that other people bring germs into the house?

The asbestos abatement people have come and gone. I paid the bill for the removal of the old floor, for the legal landfill burial of the tiles , for an industrial hygienist to test my air and for the test results to be filed with the state.

Final design decision was to go with old fashioned linoleum. My goal is to have a kitchen as green as I can make it. Linoleum is made from flax seed and linseed oil....all natural material and renewable. The new floor looks great. I am very pleased.

The range and refrigerator are in the living room at the moment. I am washing dishes in the bathtub upstairs. It is a little tough on my back, but this is only temporary.

Decision was made to keep the old sink. I like the old fashioned sink. It has two drainboards. It is enamel over cast iron. It should last my lifetime. The only trouble is, that also means keeping the sink base. The metal cabinet went to the local auto body shop to be stripped and repainted. I bet it will be beautiful when I get it back. I can't wait until it is re-installed under the window with the sink top installed on it. I can wash in the kitchen again. Joe said I could have bought a new base for what I am paying the auto body place, but the existing base exactly matches the sink. Don't care if I paid more.

Joe was here to repair a hole in the wall, discovered behind the sink. That is how the mouse got in. He also took down the cracked plaster ceiling over the basement stairs. Electrician wired up a receptacle for an overhead light. We had a mess of plaster dust, but as they say, you have to break eggs to get an omelet. You have to make a mess to get a new kitchen.

The next step will be to work on the walls. They are plaster. Sanding and sealing is needed before the walls are painted. I want the walls done before new cabinets are ordered. End of progress report for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home