Thursday, December 06, 2007

I'm getting a new (to me) kitchen. The first thing I thought when I saw the old kitchen is, how did my mother-in-law function in such an awful kitchen? It has no cabinets. ..not a one. She must have worked at the sink, or at the stove. My temporary solution was to move in furniture. A table against the wall functioned as countertop. A cart held small appliances. This temporary solution has been in place for 13 years. I inherited this house when my husband died.
Two of my girlfriends are getting new kitchens. They're getting fancy ones and spending plenty of money. Perhaps that was the reason I took another look at my rustic kitchen. Both friends went for granite countertops , inset lighting...plenty of fancy stuff. My needs are more modest.
I've functioned in a Youngstown Kitchen when my girls were little. I like the metal cabinets. They can be spray painted when the paint gets marred. They can be wiped down with a little bleach on a cloth to make them sanitary. There is a Youngstown sink base in my current kitchen. Why not stay with the same maker and style? The trouble is, this manufacturer has been out of business for some time.
Other people like Youngstown Kitchens, too. There is a market for the cabinets. Perhaps they will ultimately become antiques, like Hoosier cabinets are today...and some styles of stoves. I put a wanted ad on the Bob Villa website. Rick answered my ad.
We corresponded by email. He sent me photos and dimensions. Yes. They will fit into my existing space. There are no dents. I will pick them up next week...renting a U Haul to get them. The local auto body shop will spray paint them for me. (I was going to do it myself, but it would take all of next summer to complete this project.)
I need to have my stove and sink disconnected so that Russo Floors can put in a new floor, wall to wall. I hope to have this done before the renovated cabinets are ready for installation. Well, I could have the upper cabinets installed . This means I will have no kitchen over Christmas. I will deal with it. Perhaps Christmas will move to Melba Street, where Chris is.
Replacing the door and windows can wait for spring.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home