Saturday, January 12, 2008

A new year. New experiences.
Doing errends around town. It was noon time. I was too far from home to come home for lunch, so I stopped at Denny's for a salad and a drink. The person behind the counter asked if I wanted the order to go. I said no. The order came packed up as a "to go" order. I explained I ordered my lunch to eat it inside. She took everything out of the bag. My order was placed on a tray so I could eat it there. I looked at my receipt. I was charged an extra 20 cents for an order to go. I wasted 20 cents.
Living alone makes one hungry for socializing with neighbors. I do this by eating breakfast at my favorite diner. I'm a regular. So are many others. We great each other, read the newspaper and catch up on each other's lives. Another advantage is I don't have to cook and clean up...wish this meant that my kitchen was neat. It isn't. Kathy is my usual waitress. I gave her my order. She asked me if I wanted meat with it. I said no. When the order came...you guessed it....it had bacon on it.
The question is: Am I invisible or are waitresses deaf?
My pursuit for kitchen elements continues. Three tries for cabinets resulted in three rejections. The first cabinets were over priced. The second was at a shop requiring membership. Three thousand dollars for the privilege of shopping there? Locked into their brands? That offer got turned down. The third try was in the richest part of our state. Some one had pulled a St. Charles kitchen out, in order to put in a new kitchen. The cabinets were in excellent condition. The price was right. I said I would take them. One glitch: the corner cabinet has to fit into the corner of my kitchen. It did not. I had to revoke my acceptance, or put in kitchen cabinets with no corner cabinet. However, I learned that St. Charles cabinets are still being made..hmmmmmmm..
Because of my concern for global warming, I am trying to use recycled materials. Recycled glass tiles are beautiful, but they can't go on the floor. I will install them behind the range. I found ceramic tiles made from recycled material, but didn't like the color. Perhaps my floor will be covered with old fashioned linoleum, if it comes in periwinkle blue or blueberry.
Unfortunately for my goal of recycling, I found some beautiful handmade ceramic tiles that would look beautiful on my floor. They are not made from recycled material. Perhaps I should table the search for cabinets and finish the floor first.
This means un-installing my stove and sink. It also means I won't have a kitchen to use until the new floor is installed. The first part of laying a new floor, is to decide if the new floor goes over the old floor. My old floor has asbestos fibers in it. It would be legal for me to encapsulate the asbestos by installing the new floor over it, but I don't want to do that. I call an asbestos abatement company. Ian , their estimator, comes over. He measure the floor and discusses the process. He said He will send me an estimate via email and by letter. Several days go by. No estimate. I call the company. Ian says He sent it email. There is nothing in my in-box. Several days go by. I call the company to leave a message. No estimate yet. nothing nothing blank blank nothing happening
Another project started: My audio components are all over the living room. Wires hang out. The units are on top of the coffee table and under the coffee table. It looks like a mess. A trip to Audio Etc. They have a piece of furniture made to hold audio components. I ask myself , do I want another piece of furniture in the living room? The answer is no.
Next stop was to The Guitar Center. Yes, they have a rack system. I place my order, which the Guitar Center salesman messes up. We re-do it three times. Apparently, this guy doesn't know how to use the computer to order items from their warehouse. The supervisor comes over to finish up the order. A few days pass. In Email, I find that they have rejected my credit card...because the salesman put the delivery address as my billing address. The billing address has to match the credit card information. A second trip to Guitar Center. Another sales person. Call to billing. The address for billing is corrected. Drive home. Next day, an Email from G.C. stating that they are still rejected my order. They won't take my credit card. Apparantly when their computer system rejects a card, it can't be reintroduced. I had to give them the number of a back up credit card that I rarely use. It goes through OK. A few days later, I get an email stating that my rack is on back order. I don't know when it will be delivered.
Accomplished , so far, for the month of January: nothing.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

You aren't invisible - people are losing the ability to listen.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Pam Kueber said...

Hi Gardenbug. I have a reader looking for St. Charles kitchen pieces. Since you had to give up on the set you mention, because of the corner cabinet issue, can you give me the contact info for the seller? Email me at: Pam@retrorenovation.com.

Many thanks!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home