Saturday, December 22, 2007

Spence met me at 6AM. We picked up the U Haul and headed out to the Dover, Delaware area from Connecticut. The weather was a little warmer than expected for December...sweater weather.I took off my coat and put it in the back of the U Haul truck. We loaded the U haul with blankets and bungee cords to shelter the cabinets on the return trip. Pat loaned me a blanket. The sky was overcast. At least We were not in for the long drive in the middle of a snow storm...the one that hit several days after our return. We were going to look at the Youngstown Kitchen cabinets advertised on the web.
Rick emailed me, sent photos and dimensions. I thought these cabinets were going to be installed in my kitchen. I had called the local body shop, alerted them that I was bringing in a bunch of metal cabinets for refinishing. Rob agreed to the job. In my mind, the cabinets were rescued from Delaware, refinished locally, and installed in my kitchen. In imagination, I stand in my kitchen , at last with kitchen cabinets, admiring the light bouncing off my newly painted white cabinets. Satisfaction.
It didn't work that way. It was noon when We pulled up to Rick's house. He had taken the cabinets out of the kitchen of a house He was moving into. His plan was to enlarge his kitchen. He didn't need the old cabinets. He said He would be pleased if they got a new home. I thought We had a deal.
Oh, Oh. The cabinets have contact paper inside. There is a lot of rust on the cabinet that was next to the sink. Grease was on the top of the upper cabinets. All of that could be overcome, but Rick wanted more money than I would spend for used cabinets. Spence said that a lot of people he knew that ripped out kitchens, would have given the cabinets away, just to clear the site. Not this guy.
I raised my offer. He refused the offer. I explained the cost of the trip and the anticipated cost of reconditioning the cabinets. Add it all up and I could get new cabinets for the same price. Nope. Rick wouldn't budge. He got rude. He slammed shut windows, turned his back on us, complained that We were holding him up from work. It was time for us to go.
Rick didn't say good bye, sorry We can't come to an agreement. He didn't walk us to the door. We let ourselves out. We closed up the U Haul and left.
Some good things happened on that trip. There is a very good seafood buffet in some little town along the route back. I forget the name of the town. We had crab bisque, salmon in cream sauce....lots of very good things to eat. I enjoyed some good jazz on the radio, despite the wind noise of traveling on an interstate highway...and I learned to never answer an ad for something I want, unless it is within the state of Connecticut.
The last stop was to return the U Haul. Renting a U Haul is on y $20, but the mileage is .59 a mile. I picked up a van with a full tank. I returned the van with a full tank. Add in New Jersey tolls. Total cost for the round trip that accomplished nothing was $500. I am $500 into my kitchen project with nothing to show for it. Stay tuned.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Well - that sucks about the cabinets - but look on the bright side: it inspired your inner poet!

4:25 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

Ha Ha...as hammy as it is. This week I will be looking at cabinets at two locations in Connecticut. My concern is getting the floor ready first. I have asbestos tiles I want removed. My floor man wants to lay a floor over the old tiles to encapsulate them, which would be legal. But I want them gone.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home