Monday, December 31, 2007

This is the last day of the month, the last day of the year. We are just past the shortest day of the year...a day with little sunlight. No or low sunlight always makes me discouraged. I know I have many blessings. It is easy to lose sight of them when it is cold and dark...with high utility bills.
Today I am going to a demolition place to look at St. Charles kitchen cabinets. This brand is even better than the Youngstown cabinets I am pursuing. I all ready know that they won't fit into my existing kitchen, but perhaps the demolition warehouse will have something else for me to look at.
Sunday, Spence and I drove to Habitat For Humanity to look at cabinets. There were lots of windows and bathroom vanities...nothing for my kitchen. Wasn't it nice that Spence offered to come with me? Wouldn't it be even nicer if We found something I could use?
Well, I will look at the St. Charles cabinets and look around the warehouse. Bet the farm that there is nothing there I can use.
In the back of my mind, I see myself hiring a cabinetmaker to make custom cabinets. They will be exactly the right size. I see myself sending the upper cabinet doors to Costa Rica to have ox cart designs painted on them.
I called several asbestos abatement businesses to give me a price on removing the old floor tiles. Neither one of them has called me back. I bet they don't believe me....that I want the tiles removed before installing a new floor. Most of their business is commercial. Commerce has to remove or encapsulate asbestos, by law. Homeowners usually encapsulate the old tiles by installing the new floor over the old one. It's cheaper.
I went to a tile place to find a floor covering that met "green" guidelines. I saw beautiful glass tiles for the walls, lovely ceramic tiles for the walls...all from recycled material. Nothing for the floor. I am seriously considering old fashioned linoleum. It is still being made.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Pam Kueber said...

Hi, you might want to keep an eye on my forum - which is focused solely on vintage steel kitchen cabinets - which are wonderful! It's at retrorenovation.com/forum.

Also, you may be interested in my blog, RetroRenovation.com, and may be helpful to you. All the best, Pam

5:58 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

I sure will read your comments and advice on your forum. My daughter sent me to a similar website. The best decisions are made with lots of research before the check is written out.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home