Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Andy went to a minister in Fort Worth and asked to use his computer. This man has taken a liking to my grandson and wants to help. He visited Andy while Andy was in jail. Andy has a chemical imbalance in his brain. He hears voices. Andy's judgement is way off. He seems to have no sense of self preservation. He thinks that it is other people's responsibility to care for him. He is almost thirty years old. The good shepherd monitored Andy's legal situation and made sure He got legal representation. In my opinion, Andy is damn lucky to meet up with someone like the minister.
Andy emailed me that He has lost his ID card. He can't find his birth certificate. Could it be in my garage where his things are stored? I said I would look. If I find it and send it to him, he probably will lose it again...same as his clothes, his ID card, his painters supplies...every material possession slips right through his hands. He gets his clothes at Good Will or the Salvation Army.
He wants to come north for a visit. This means hanging around my house until he gets thrown out. Nothing will change over time. I tried to help this young man for two years. His illness makes him undo every thing that others have done for him. He causes chaos and damage, stress. Finally, He leaves. I can't go through this again. Andy will have to depend upon the resources of the mental health professionals. I am too old for this situation...but I will look for his copy of his birth certificate so He can cash his SSI checks. No one in the family expects Andy to make it to old age....maybe not even middle age. Sad reality.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I agree. Look for Andy's birth certificate and send it to him if you find it. If it helps him out, that's good. But DON'T let him live with you again. You already have two grandsons living with you, and you don't need another person causing you any more stress, even he is family. You're too old to be cleaning up other people's messes. You have to take care of yourself. You are not young anymore. It's time to leave it in the hands of the mental health professionals, as you said. Andy may not be around much longer, so it's better that he get the help he needs instead of giving you a headache. I love Andy and want the best for him. It's a hard situation.

11:06 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

I found the birth certificate. Went to Staples and made multiple copies of it. I mailed the original and a copy to Andy the same day. The extra copies will go into my permanent records file...to be retrieved when Andy loses his copies. That is the best that I can do.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

That's all you can do. I hope this minister friend can help him. Hopefully he'll steer Andy in the right direction, or at least help improve even just a little. I hope the minister is a good influence.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Melanie O. said...

Totally agree - Andy is a drain. He thinks everyone else should do the work and support him. I don't know what it will take to turn things around for Andy. I'm kind of hoping that the aging process helps him and the voices will diminish as his brain ages. It's really horrible to think of Andy as a little boy - he was so smart and outgoing and had so much potential - and compare that little boy with the plump cheeks, to the gaunt figure I saw last year. I'm sending him some gifts for Christmas, but I expect those will eventually be lost.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home