Thursday, October 11, 2007

Last Friday, I took Rascal to a vet surgery center for an MRI. Her vet said they needed the test to better see where her injury was...and make a good decision about what to do for her. I took her in. She lay on the passenger side of my truck and looked up at me several times. She looked right in my eyes. To think of this, tears me up. At the surgery center, they said they will go right ahead with the operation because she would all ready be under the anesthetic. I said OK. The nurse said they will call me about 5PM to let me know that Rascal is awake. I said OK. On the way home, I ate breakfast out. As I got in the door, the phone was ringing. It was the surgeon. He said that Rascal's heart stopped on the table. They never did the MRI. They got her heart started again and put her in the ICU. She got very good medical care. I said to him that if her heart was that weak, she probably would not survive the surgery and if she survived it, the result of the surgery would not be a full restoration of her mobility. She would not want to live like that. I gave the surgeon permission to stop trying to keep her alive. My lovely dog died at 11:15 that morning. She was only 7 years old. There is a big void in the house now. It will take some effort to get used to a quiet house. ..no barking....no food dishes out...I can leave the door open and not worry she would escape....It is awful.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

It must be lonely without Rascal. I'm sure her passing leaves a void not only in your home, but in your life. It must be disturbingly quiet without her. I miss her. I'm just glad that her pain and suffering is over. She was the best dog ever.

10:41 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

You bet. She was the best dog ever.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Melanie O. said...

I'm really sorry about Rascal. She was so adorable.

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home