Sunday, September 16, 2007

When Chris decided to return to Melba Street, our agreement was that He would work and go to school. He could live in the house, but he would be responsible for all utilities and upkeep of the house.
It didn't turn out that way. See previous blog relating that Chris' car broke down. Now He is up here with no wheels and no job. Because He can't afford even the utilities, my grandson is living in my house. I pay the utilities, feed him and drive him around. Gee, that sounds awful. Chris isn't a leach. He is doing what he can to get a job. He does whatever I ask him to do. He cuts the grass, helps move things around. He fixes my computer and gets my audio system up and running. I think this is a fair exchange.
Never the less, Chris needs money and a job. He is making a career leap...from the type of employment a young man has in high school and college into his professional career. My grandson has a love of music. He taught himself computer generated music. He composes. He plays in clubs. He scratches records for dancing. It is a lot of fun for him, but it is also a good way to starve to death.
Hense, the career move. Enough already with selling stuff in malls.
He spent hours going over his resume, fine tuning it from an accurate list of all those awful mall jobs, to an emphasis on his technical training. We printed it out on good rag paper. The resume looks very good.
Next was a trip to Gentlemen's Wearhouse. It was decided that He needed a light weight jacket and a short sleeve white shirt. It is too hot for his winter jackets. The salesmen at the store were excellent at selling. We exited the store $600 poorer, but with two jackets, two shirts and two ties. "You're going to like the way He looks."
Later that week, Chris went for an interview. He looked so professional in his new clothes, with a neat resume in a folder. After the interview, He said that he did well on the tests. They tested him for computer skills.
I think the young ladies that interviewed my grandson were impressed with his appearance , personality and competency. Now, let's see if they can place him in a good position.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I do think that Chris has what it takes to land something that will not only help pay for school, but that will allow him to have his own place.

3:20 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

I hope so. at age 30 He is past due.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home