Thursday, July 26, 2007

It must be a mercury retrograde time. My machines are malfunctioning. I drive my truck all over the place, keep it well maintained and drive safely. On my latest trip to Syracuse, I heard a squeaky noise. Driving over a rut that I could not avoid, my back window shattered. It seems that the cap on the back was vibrating against the back window, causing a scratch. When the truck went over the bump, the jar crumbled the window. So, how come the window was not vibrating against the cap all this time and now it is?
My cousin Nancy gave me an audio tape,"chicken soup for animal lovers". I want to hear my new tape. My tape recorder hasn't worked in some time. I've been focusing on the DVD player and my audio components. Now it is time to take the tape deck in for a cleaning and repair. My choice of a store is Audio ETC. ...specializing in high end audio equipment. They have a repair man who I hope, can repair my tape deck. The man behind the counter says that I might just as well buy a new tape deck. The cost of repairing the old one will be more or equal to, purchasing a new one. Besides, a lot of parts inside the machine, are composition and are drying out. The tape deck is over 15 years old, so I might just as well get a new one.
The Best Buy store is just down the road. I've bought my printer there, and several tapes. Stephen bought some parts there that he used to install my radio in my truck. It's a good store for technology purchases. Unfortunately, tape decks are an obsolete technology. All they have are boom boxes. Nope. Nothing I can use. I have only one more choice: to purchase a professional quality tape deck with CD recording capabilities. I wanted to convert my tapes to Cd's anyways. The next stop was to the Guitar Center where Chris used to work. If this doesn't work, then I have no choice except to get my old one repaired and hope it holds out until I can convert my music to a CD format.
To The Guitar Center: yes they have what I want. What I don't want, is the price!. It was eight hundred dollars...yikes! Well, I bought it. It didn't cost me any money. I charged it. I will worry about this later. The tape deck is now on the stack, plugged in. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to wire the tape deck to my receiver and to the speakers. I will have to wait until Chris gets here.....about September?
At home: There it goes again. I rent a DVD. The coming attractions view fine. Then it is time for the video. The screen fades to black. Nothing is wrong with the DVD. It is my player. It is a basic model. It can play most DVDs, but not the high definition ones. (Sigh) Back to the store to buy a DVD player that can play high definition DVDs. Luck is with me. I got one on sale. On a different day, I pop a rented DVD into the new player. So far, it works fine. This time, the player...which isn't even paid for yet....that darn player ate my rented DVD. It would not give it back. Out comes the screwdriver. Out comes the tiny screws that I manage to drop on the floor. By tinkering, I get the player to eject the DVD. This time, I put the screws aside in a tiny plastic bag. I know that hunger with strike the DVD player again...at least until Mercury goes forward again.
What in heavens name is going on here? My tenant calls me to tell me that someone tried to break into her house. They jimmied the door and broke the lock. Then my other tenant calls me to say His hot water tank isn't working any more. Is providence out to get me? Or at least out to empty my wallet? These are expensive repairs...one on top of the other. My truck will have to wait its turn for a new window.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

This is the problem with appliances. Since you buy them all around the same time, they all die around the same time. We had the same thing happen to us with our washing machine, dryer, and vacuum cleaner. Just what we didn't need!

3:17 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

Did you replace your thermostat on the oven, or buy a new stove? When it rains, it pours they say. By the way, the truck window was replaced for free. I had glass coverage on my auto insurance. I found a man to restore the door casings and install good locks...and my other tenant did not need a new hot water tank. He just needed the current one cleaned. The oil supply line was dirty. Sometimes I get a break.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home