Friday, June 15, 2007

Ten things you didn't know about me...and who cares anyways.
1.. I once had a rabbit named Frank. One of my nursery school children brought it to school. It was named for her brother. They didn't want it anymore, so it stayed in school. During the summer, it came to live with me. Frank turned out to be a girl. She was wonderful, smart and patient with us humans.
2..A childhood memory: I must have been about 3 or 4. My sister and I hid on our father. We were laughing and giggling as our father tried to find us. We hid behind the living room drapes. Dad made a big show of looking for us. The drapes did not go to the floor. Our feet were showing. I was really happy playing that game.
3. My teeth slant the wrong way. I want to move my teeth to a more normal curve position.
4. I grew two apple trees from seed and cared for them until they both matured and had apples. I swear that they telepathically knew who I was and that I was their caretaker.
5. As a child, I answered an ad looking for drawing talent. I reproduced a cartoon in their ad and sent it in. A representative of the company came to our house. My mother sent him away.
6. The first time I was on a horse, I posted "English" in seconds. The riding instructor was amazed that I grasped the posture and rhythm so fast.
7. My Dad told me that memorization and reciting in front of the class was a standard part of the elementary school curriculum when He was a boy (born in 1907). The practice was stopped, as the kids became embarrassed to speak in public. In response to this, I decided to see if I could memorize something long. I chose "The Night Before Christmas". I can recite it perfectly to this day. Other bits of poems stick, like: The Little Willy poems. I tried the Rubaiyat of Omar Ki yam, but gave up on that one. I knew someone that succeeded in memorizing it. By the way, educators have found that IQ scores go up when memory is exercised, even just reviewing the sequence of what you did all day. Dad's teachers were right all along.
8. I dispise women who play helpless, weak and stupid, so someone else will do the task for them.
9. I am thankful I grew up before TV, credit cards and electronic games. I know that things that others feel are a necessity, aren't a necessity at all. It saves me a lot of money.
10. I count on my fingers to balance my check book, if my calculator isn't available.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

I remember Frank. She was such a sweet rabbit. It's so sad that she got paralysis.

I memorized the Night Before Christmas, as well. Do you think I can remember all of it? Well... maybe most of it.

8:31 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

I wish they would bring memoorization back to the elementary school curriculum..for the IQ benefit and for sheer enjoyment of the story in the poem.
I am upset about what has happened to art and music in school. They've gutted it...ditto to home ec and shop. All children need to learn to sew, to cook, to make simple home repairs. They need the math benefit of music as well as the joy of listening to a classical piece they know. They need to paint and to sculpt for the same reasons. Education has been dumbed down. How sad.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home