Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The garden is now a mess of weeds. I haven't finished my spring chores. It is August, for cripes sake. What is the matter with me? It is the heat and the humidity. It is too hot to go outside and pull weeds. Some plants will die in this inferno, but if they do, I can replace them. I got one bed nicely cleaned and mulched. The rest of the place looks abandoned. I have fungus on my peach tree. The tree was sprayed once instead of being on a schedule for spraying. I hope to do better next year. I am eating the peaches anyways...only the skin is blotched, so I just peel the skin off.
Instead of working outside, I am socializing. Spence and I went to a cocktail party that was held by his next door neighbors...two lovely snow birds. They fly to Florida in the winter. When it is too hot in Florida, they come to our town by the sound. ...human migratory birds. They love Spence. They're his mother substitutes. Cutchee coo. He's invited over for dinner several times a week. If He accepts all those invitations, He would get nothing done. This one time, He accepted. We went over for cocktails and munchies. I saw the inside of their home for the first time. It is lovely. It is a small beach house lovingly restored and thank goodness, not modernized. It has a bathtub. The walls are matchstick..the real thing, not the imitation board with vertical lines inscribed. The ladies have gone over every inch. Spence did a lot of the work. The floors are pine boards. Spence refinished them. He painted the entire place, inside and out. His friend Victor redid the kitchen. The windows are original...in much better shape than mine. Even the furniture has been refinished. The house feels like the beach. Pictures on the walls are of beach scenes. It reminds me of the similar cottage my Dad has when I was a child. All my summers were spent in that house. I lived in my bathing suit, walking the beach, swimming in Lake Erie. I take comfort in seeing the neighbor's cottage. We had a wonderful party.
One of the other neighbors is a bartender at a local restaurant. The entire group makes another date to go to the restaurant. We did that last night. We sat at the bar and had drinks and dinner and joked with Spence's neighbor the bartender. She served him doubles and charged him for single shots. I am having what was in the doggie bag for dinner tonight. Rascal isn't getting any.
Hanging out and doing nothing is a lot of fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home