Saturday, April 14, 2007

My daughter has arranged to work from home for three days a week. She goes into the office on the other two days. I think this is a great idea. When I was in loss control, I spent very little time in the office. Mostly I was on the road, visiting our accounts. Once I started a vacation, but had a report that wasn't finished. To get it in on time, I took my computer on vacation with me. The report was sent in on time via the computer hookup to the phone line...next to the pool. I loved that job. I could have worked there for another decade, but that's another story. Working from home is a "green" decision. It is also a financial decision...an energy decision. Companies that make arrangements for their employees to work from home save a lot of money. They can get by with fewer desks, less overhead running the office. The employee is always available through the computer or telephone. Working from home means recouping commuter time, money spent on car and gas. Working from home reduces air pollution. The employee is more mentally focused, less stressed. Working from home means flexibility. Instead of chatting with other employees, the employee can throw a load of clothes into the washer while waiting for something to download. The dangers are misuse of time if the employee isn't disciplined. I remember my boss said, about being an outside rep, "We give our reps a lot of rope to maneuver with. Some of the reps have hung themselves with it. They got fired." Fortunately, I and my daughters are self starters. We are disciplined about time management. Telecommuting works. The other two days in the office is time used for face to face reporting, for building relationships with colleagues, for catching up on things including office politics and gossip and for showing face to make sure that you are not forgotten

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Now that I've got this setup, I really don't know if I could ever go back to the traditional work-in-the-office job. I get so much more work done at home and it's nice to be away from office politics and every little drama.

12:08 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

I loved it, too. I never wanted to retire, ...the job was wonderful. However, someone in home office decided to close our district office to save money. I was offered another job in Chicago, but I had too much property in Connecticut to quickly sell off and move. I love working from home. and glad you do, too.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home