Monday, April 30, 2007

It happened about two and a half weeks ago. Rascal was jumping up into my truck. Her leash caught on the door, pulling my dog to the ground. She looked surprised, but jumped again, up to her spot on the passenger's seat. I forgot where We went and what We did, but it was routine.
I remember that I was getting ready to take my eldest grandson back to New Britain, where I noticed that my dog was holding her back left leg up. I pointed it out to Chris. She must have a muscle pull. It will heal.
If it doesn't heal within a few days, I will take her to her vets for an exam.
Several days later, Rascal spent the entire day laying on her bed, not moving.
I called the vets and got an appointment for the next day. My next door neighbor offered to help get the dog to the doctor's office. We suspected she might have a spinal injury. I didn't want to move her spine if it wasn't necessary...hense the bed was used as a stretcher.
Rascal was carried on her bed to the back of the truck. At the vet's, the vet nurse came outside to help me carry the dog bed with patient, into the exam room. Rascal raised her head up, but made no move to get up on her legs.
She looked around and recognized the room. This is where they "do" things to her....like give her shots or take her temperature. She does not like going to the vets. Little dog got up on three legs and headed for the front door on her own....proving that she was not paralyzed and that she did have something wrong with her back left leg.
It is easy to catch a dog that is hobbling on three legs. She got x-rayed and examined. She got pain pills and an antibiotic. She got sent home for observation. The dog bed was stored in the back of the truck and Rascal was carried to her travel spot on the passenger side of the cab.
I think Rascal likes being a patient. If she lies still, her hock (heel) doesn't hurt. She gets medicine and special food. I put her food dish out of reach, forcing her to get up to get the food. She gets carried outside to go to the bathroom. The weather is nice, so she lies on the grass like a queen. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She isn't listless. She just refuses to move. She has a good appetite, watches what is going on. She follows activity with her eyes, so she is alert.
Later in the day, she gets a good meal. She is getting fat. She is coaxed to get up on her three legs and walked around a little, so she will move her bowels. She does so. Once, she indicated she wanted a walk around the block. We walked. I watched that back leg. There is still something wrong with it, but she can put it down on the ground and walk on all fours. On another time, We went to the nursery to buy a plant. I thought Rascal would want to ride in the wagon that is provided for heavy plants. No. Not her. She wanted to get down and walk around to sniff all those good earth smells.
Back home, she reverted to laying around all day. I am calling the vets back...again...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home