Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not all childhood memories , exploring my world, took place at Bayview. There were city experiences as well. What kind of a toddler was I? Apparently one on her own. These are family stories from when I was little. Mom had painted the kitchen. She took down the curtains to paint the woodwork. The curtain rods were available to my curious hands. I took them and swung them around, hitting the freshly painted cabinet doors. I banged and banged. Such fun!!! Mom said the dents were still in the doors at the time the house was sold....years later.
Free to wander around, I spyed some beautiful flowers that I knew my mother would like. So, I picked them and gave them to her. The phone rang. It was the lady next door. I had picked her tulips.
It must have been a boring day, wandering around the house. I opened the refrigerator door, just looking . I found...BACON! Such a greasy texture. So floppy. What can a little child do with bacon? Why, go into the bathroom, stand in the bathtub and slap the bacon on the wallpaper over the bathtub. Look at the marks I made!!!
A favorite thing in babyhood, was my walker. We lived on the second floor. I walked all over the apartment in my walker. Suddenly, the ground around me gave way. I was falling downstairs in my walker. The surprise knocked the wind out of my lungs. My parents failed to block the top of the stairs and I had fallen down the flight of stairs. My mouth was bloody. The fall knocked out my front tooth and damaged the "bud" of the second tooth that was growing in my jaw. Years later, when the permanent tooth came in, it came in damaged and distorted. I remember this experience and I remember my mother yelling at my father that it was his fault. Was it?
One thing that Mom did right, was to make sure that I had memorized my phone number and address. One day, wandering around the city, I turned a corner and then could not remember how to get back. What shall I do? I went up to the nearest house and gave my phone number to the lady , asked her to call my Mom to come and get me. Mom came to get me and praised me for remembering my phone number.
Looking back, I am thinking of my innocent, childish behavior. As an adult, I see a different picture. My parents were not very good at supervising their child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home