Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Practical tasks are on my mind. A., my grandson, in his 20s, has a handicap. Nothing shows to the casual observer. It is a chemical imbalance that requires He take medication. If He doesn't, He can't function. A. is so handsome, I wonder if I should underwrite a model's portfolio for him. Would He be interested in modeling?
A list of tasks to support A. is on my mind: He needs a copy of his birth certificate. He needs to sign up for food stamps. He needs something to do to keep him busy all day. A. is very intellegent. He needs a budget to help him structure use of his social security disability check. He needs to keep busy instead of idling in neutral all day.
At the same time, I am half way through a move. There are boxes every where. My painter friend and his son have agreed to help me move the big pieces....the entertainment center, treadmill, china cabinet, queen size bed. A. and I have moved the little stuff. God! there is a lot of little stuff. As soon as my storage pieces arrive, I can empty some of the boxes out and place my linens, dishes, "stuff" into the cupboards, drawers and behind doors. Order, in good time.
My audio components are on the floor. I would love to hear some good sound, some good music. I will be so glad when A. and I can hook up the components and turn them on. I will be so glad to get the tapes (audio and movies) , CDs, DVDs, records, flat screen TV properly put away. Boxes of books are everywhere. I need to build bookcases.
When I have my own stuff put away, what shall I do with, where shall I put the duplicates? I am combining two households into one. Some things are scheduled for a garage sale / tag sale. They go into the garage until spring. I hope that the mice don't take up winter housekeeping among my things in the garage. They probably will.
Some things that are used only occasionally, go into the basement. It's a little basement. My boxes take up the entire right side of the basement. If I need anything, I have to walk sideways between the boxes. Family: Please don't buy me anything. I am drowning in material blessings.
Before the large pieces arrive, it is important to me that the area be clean where the pieces will stand. This house is impossible to keep clean. It is an old house. I need to seal the basement walls and floors. The pores of those surfaces oozes dust and flakes . I vacuum the floor in the basement and sweep down the walls. In a few days, it looks like I never did anything. My furnace turns on. The forced air system blows the stuff all through the house. I blow my nose and sneeze a lot. I have two hepa filters working constantly to clean the air.
The Melba Street house was my home for almost 30 years. I had a place for everything. This new house is laid out differently. A favorite painting that hung on my kitchen wall , won't be able to hang on my new kitchen wall. I've lost wall space to doorways and windows. I need the remaining wall space for kitchen cabinets.
Where shall I hang my paintings that make sense? I don't want to just "stick them up any where". Slowly, the layout of furniture, paintings, color schemes is revealed to me. My kitchen painting is hung at the foot of the stairs. The placement is right. It also suggests a color scheme for this part of the house. The secondary colors in the painting, aqua and green, would be a great color choice / tint for the wall behind the painting, or perhaps as secondary colors in carpeting as well.
OK Gardenbug...get off the computer and start cleaning the baseboards and walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home