Saturday, January 14, 2006

It's Tuesday...the day I drive for my neighbor. His truck is down for the winter. Since He lives across the street from me, it is easy for us to go grocery shopping together. This wonderful neighbor is responsible for me receiving a gift of a Hammond Organ ...for free
After our groceries are in the backof the truck, He asks if We can go to the nearest piano store. He's given away a second organ to my tenant. (He has a third one at home.) He remembered the piano store had free hand outs that teach how to play a keyboard. He wanted one to give to my tenant, the recipient of organ number two. Sure. At the store, I made a bee-line to the back of the store where the organs are displayed. I turned on the BIG organ and played the simple tune that was on the music stand. The salesman comes over to tell me I am playing an organ that costs $80,000.
My remark was guessing it would be purchased by a church. He said negative. It will go into a private residence . Boy, am I behind the times. Technology has improved to the point where these electronic instruments practically play themselves. Since my organ playing days, manufacturers have added all sorts of bells and whistles. There they are, on the console. I don't have a clue what they do.
Neighbor and salesman discuss my Hammond. Salesman says the only older models that are worth any money are the model Bs..because they are a jazz organ. Mine isn't one of those. Its a simple spinet....more than 50 years old.
In that case, my old Hammond isn't worth more than $200. I paid more than that to have it moved....and next week, the organ repair man is coming, charging me $150 just to put his foot in the door. I and neighbor agree that there are other values, other than money. I will restore this organ for the pleasure of playing a Hammond again. Besides, neighbor wants to hear me play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home