Monday, December 12, 2005

Chapter two on the entertainment center: I know that Spence and Doug can't move it. They are not professional movers. Surely I can't move it either. I have to call the professional movers because they have straps, blankets and handcarts to move large pieces of furniture. Every one of them does not return my call after I leave a message on their answering machines. They want a big job...a whole house to move. Finally one of them says they have a break in their schedule. They will move my entertainment center, but only for cash. ...a lot of cash...just about the same amount I paid Spence and Doug to move my entire household . Oh, oh...I got a fly-by-night outfit.
But I am desperate to get the thing into the house. I have audio equipment all over the place. I step around records, tapes, CDs, DVDs, speakers...four of them. OK, they'll be there tomorrow. Relief!
Later that day, the contractor returns my call. I want to make my new address as energy efficient as I can....and I want to be able to function in it in extreme old age....everything on one floor, for example. This means putting a washing machine in the kitchen...stuff like that. After experiencing my mother in an assisted living facility, I am determined to NEVER go into one. There is no health service that can't be provided at home, with a little thought and planning.
Ted comes over and We walk the house. There is a discussion of plans, my ideas and Ted's ideas. He is very good. I've seen the work He did for my friend, Carol. I just love her bathroom. Ted is more than a contractor. He is also trained as a designer.
Ted says stuff I did not expect to hear. Like: We will have to remove the plaster wall and replace it with insulation and sheet rock . Imagine demolition in a house filled with boxes and audio equipment all over the place. There will be plaster dust all over everything.
Ted recommends I not live in the house while the renovation is on-going.
Where shall I go? Where shall I put all my stuff? The obvious: back to Melba Street.
First call is to cancel the entertainment center move. The second call is to Spence. He is laughing because he is one of the men who helps Ted rip out plaster walls. He knows what is in store. Do We have to move EVERYTHING back? (I am hoping to address one room at a time. Could We move the big pieces of furniture into a pile in the middle of the room?)
Fortunately, there is a long wait to get Ted to do the work. I have a break to think about it. Most people wait a whole year before Ted can get to their contracted job. We have not signed a contract, nor firmed up our design plan. I guess I will just live with boxes in the livingroom for a while...a long while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home