Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Road: When I was born, I was at the start of the road. There were many other people with me. They were a little farther up the road. Some were way, way up the road, but they were still in my life. I liked them all. We walk down the road on a beautiful warm summer day. There may be holes and rocks in the road, or perhaps the way is straight, view is beautiful. Whatever we need, We can gather it as We travel. If someone stumbles, the others are there to help. Those ahead, call out to those behind, as a teacher who has learned something that is of value and wants to share it to those traveling behind. We leave legacies by the side of the road for others behind us to find and to enjoy.
Now I am further down the road. Some of the people that were ahead of me, have traveled over the crest of the hill. They are out of sight to me. More and more of them are out of sight. I am distressed to see that there are fewer and fewer people traveling along with me. Even my loving dog, who traveled with me for thirteen years, has gove ahead, over the crest of the hill. Those who have gone ahead, never turn around and come back.
I am thankful that new people travel with me for a little while. They come in from side branches. We walk a ways, talk a bit. Then, their road veers off away from mine and we part ways. The shadows are growing long. The sun, once overhead, is now low on the horizon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home