Friday, September 30, 2005

Garden Reality Tour
written June 15, 2000

In a life of stress and chaos, I longed for a place of beauty and order.
A perfect summer day of warm sunshine.
Time to enjoy the day.
No work. No cares.
I pictured myself in a beautiful dress and sun hat, with a basket on my arm.
I strolled into the perfect garden.
Cut armfulls of fragrance, color, form and texture.
Ah! The image.
I felt the sun warming my skin, delighted in the bounty I held in my arms.
The clouds over me were white brush strokes,
slowly moving, building towers on a blue pallet.

I am older now and there is opportunity to build a garden of my own.
Oh joy!
Down on my knees in the dirt.
The spade won't go past a rock.
The turned up dirt releases mold in the air.
Allergic, my nose runs.
Both mold and sunstroke give me a headache.
Weeds refuse to yield to my hand.
Time out.

Next year:
A garden fork slides between the stones.
If it has recently rained, the weeds let go.
A decongestant, bottle of water and a hat are my defense.
Some plants go in. Some die.
My good meaning neighbor mows for me and kills my tree. It was a little tree.
Sand fleas feast on my neck and shoulders.
Oh well.
Some plants survive. I waatch some thrive.

Next year:
Jerry Baker's garden books and magazine subscriptions
lots of gardening catalogues filled with beautiful promises fill my book shelf.
Several nurseries have been scouted out.
I pick the brains of other gardeners who willingly share their wisdom.
No more watering can. I had an outside spicket installed.
What survived from last year, has grown magnificently.

So have the weeds.
A basic plan in mind.
Pay attention to sun and water needs.
Try not to use chemicals
Tall ones go in the back.
Choose plants that like rock garden conditions.
Son of a gun!
The hazy image clears.

Winter:
My garden needs structure.
White fence, stone walkway, a shady place to sit
Plans hatch in my head.
With paper and pencil, I plan their locations.
Waiting for spring

Next year:
Confidently choosing what goes where.
Years of mulching are paying off
Weeds still try.
I spy them and they're out.
The theme is blue.
Bachelor button, lavender, bluebird rose of sharon, lilac, pansies, iris, vinca, violets, veronica, all in their season, smile in blue.
In jeans and floppy hat, with vase of water and pruning shears,
I cut a flower for the table.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

You're getting a lot of SPAM in your blog. Be sure to check the word verification option for leaving comments so that you don't get a lot of "junk" in your comment area. (It's in your home page when you log in.) You can also click on the trashcan next to these unwanted ads and get rid of them. x0x0x0 love, your daughter

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home