Sunday, September 25, 2005

Today, earlier, I wrote of my disappointment with a family member who is causing delays with my Mom's Probate. Funny, but a friend in San Francisco seems to sense just when I am feeling sad about this. Perhaps it is because he is a Sensitive. Perhaps it is because He has a similar situation happening within his family circle. Anyways, Colin called me and We talked for an hour. I feel better now.
In the afternoon, I watched a video, "Warm Springs". Its about FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt. It covers his bout with polio (infantile paralysis) and the years He sought treatment at Warm Springs....up to the time He returned to politics. I student taught physically handicapped children at the school located on the grounds of Myer Memorial Hospital in Buffalo New York. Working with physically handicapped students was a learning experience for me. I learned that kids are just kids. Physically handicapped children are just children, except their legs don't work right....or whatever their handicap is. The rest of the child is just a child. They work around their handicap. In my senior year at Buffalo State Teacher's College, I met Eleanor Roosevelt. Little did I know of all that she had overcome and accomplished in her lifetime. All I saw was the outside: an old woman with no sense of fashion. What does a college senior know, anyways?
I did not appreciate her legacy until decades later. The video added another dimension to my understanding of the lady and her husband.
The summer before Bob died (husband), We went to Maine to visit his aunt and uncle in Pembroke. As a side trip, We drove across the Canadian Border to visit where FDR spent his childhood summers....can't think of the name of the place at the moment....will edit this blog when I do. (Oh, it's called Campo Bello. Did I spell it right?) That's the place where FDR contracted polio. Bob had polio as a child and wore a brace on his leg so that He could walk. I bless the brace because it enabled Bob to function.
I bless the brace because it kept stupid women away from the man until I met him. Stupid women who could not see past the brace. How shallow some people are. I saw a gem and got him!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

"I saw the gem and got him."

This is just how I feel about my husband. How many women passed him by because he's "just" a truck driver or because he's a little loud? He's a real gem to me and he treats me like gold. Gold and gems go well together. :-)

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home