Tuesday, September 27, 2005

My across the street neighbor was walking his dogs. A thought occured to me as I watched them walk down the street. They live in a rented house. The homeowner has put the house up for sale. I asked my neighbors if they will buy the house and they stated they couldn't afford to do that. They are looking for another place to rent. I will be sad to lose my neighbors. They got me into my house when I locked myself out. They called the Police when someone attacked my dog. They are good neighbors. They wave and say,"Hello. Good morning."
I've decided to move into my rental house until it is sold, thereby saving some capital gains tax. It will be a shame to leave my Melba Street house empty. Why not rent it to my neighbors? I know they take good care of their property, as I've lived across the street from them for 20 years.
And when my rental is sold? What then? Let them stay in the Melba Street house while I move into the Park Circle house...my eventual destination. I intend to live on Park Circle in retirement for the rest of my life. The plan was to renovate the house before moving in, but that plan can change. I can renovate while living there.
My accountant asks,"What if the rental is sold immediately?"
Then I move directly to Park Circle and pay the capital gains tax. I would not turn down an honest purchase offer just to avoid the tax.
A message was left on their answering machine to call me. Can't wait until they return my call to see if We can make a deal.
The name of my blog won't change, regardless where I'm living.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Great idea about renting out Melba St to the neighbors. The hardest thing about being a landlord is finding good tenants. Hope it all works out. Love from Melanie

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home