Wednesday, August 17, 2005

On September 1, I am flying out to San Francisco for a week's vacation with a girlfriend, Judy H. We're going first class, because that's how Judy likes to vacation. As for me, staying at a truck stop is OK. The fun is in exploring the city. Anyways, We are staying at a mansion converted to a hotel. We were in S.F. a few years ago. There is so much to see and do, We never got to go into a museum, so museums are the focus of this trip. Her mother lives in Napa Vally, so the second half of the trip will be in Napa Valley...luxury, of course. I am bringing my bathing suit and plan to spend at least half a day in a hot tub...outdoors in the sunshine....soaking in a hot tub...making my skin wrinkle. ...while Judy visits with family.
Our first trip to S.F., We hired a private sight seeing van..."Day InNature"...the man took us into the redwood forests north of the city. It was wonderful!! He has another trip planned for us: visiting wineries...and We will do the wine train, too. This could be one big hangover trip if there are a lot of sulfates in the wines I expect to taste. Judy said to the van driver, that We want to visit a major winery in Napa Valley. He said that since our trip was over the Labor Day holiday, the place will be packed with tourists and We would not enjoy the experience. Instead, He is taking us to an out of the way winery. How wonderful.
I am retired, age 68...have the money for this expensive trip. As a widow, I am depressed because now that I have the time off and the money to spend, there is no one to share it with. Judy is the wife of my husband's good friend, Paul H. Paul and Judy have opened their hearts and home and accepted me as their friend. I would be sitting home at holidays, probably crying. They won't allow that. They insist I come to their house. So I do.
Judy loves to travel. Paul travels only occassionally. So Judy and I travel when Paul wants to stay home.
I have a calender on my desk that has pictures of beautiful tropical islands. During the winter, I would love to vacation at one of them. The romance of a tropical island vacation calls my name. Then I think, who shall I take with me? Go alone? I would see all that beauty and wish to say to a companion, "how beautiful it is here"...and there is no one to hear me. Then, my lonliness would come crushing down on me and I would be miserable surrounded by beauty.
Well, I shall put that thought aside...a problem to solve at a later date. For now, it is time to get out my suitcase and get ready for San Francisco. The first item that goes into the suitcase, is my bathing suit followed by rubber flip flops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home