Sunday, August 28, 2011

We got the call to evacuate Melba Street. We are having a hurricane. It going to scar the entire eastern seaboard from the Carolinas up to Canada. The governors are on TV. Our mayor is on TV. All city departments are on emergency response duty. Fire and Police, medical emergency have drilled for this for a long time. They know how to handle an emergency. But the scale of this is huge! It is bigger than any storm I've experienced since I moved to the shore. It is supposed to be as big as the Gulf Of Mexico.
I have to leave my house but I can go to my husband's house in the middle of the city. Captain Jack comes with me. Some of my neighbors state that they aren't going to go. So I invite them to stay at my house...because it is on higher ground ..and is 3 stories high. Chris says He will stay at my house with his dog, Lucy.
My mistake was not getting his cell phone number so We could stay in touch.
TV coverage shows a lot of wind and water power. There are flooded streets, downed trees and power lines. I am OK where I am. We never lose power, but my neighbor, Butch, loses big limbs on his shade tree. One falls on my lawn. The other one falls on Butch's lawn, pulling down his power line. Butch doesn't have electricity nor a phone. No TV, either.
Down the street in the other direction: Another tree is snapped off at the root. It blocks the street. I can't get out from either direction.
Carol calls me. She lives near Melba Street, but she did not have to evacuate because she is on higher ground. Her concern was wind damage. It could break her new windows.
Carol says she got a call that a few cottages on the beach side have been swept away. My stomach gets that sinking feeling. Carol offers to walk as close as she can. She reports back to me that the water is over the road and about 50 feet across the road. This does not bode well for my house. If the sump pump can keep pumping, then maybe I have a miracle. I can't reach Chris to ask him for a report. He has not called me. Is this a good sign? I don't know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home