Friday, July 08, 2011

The story isn't original to me. It bears telling anyways.

It was winter in the great forest. Dark and cold. The wind blew and sent chills to anyone foolish to venture out in such bad weather. Sleet fell. A lone wolf walked the forest, cold and hungry. He came to the woodcutter's cottage. A warm light shone through the window. Smoke rose from the chimney, telling of a cozy fire inside.

The wolf cautiously came to the door of the cottage. There, guarding the door, was a dog. The two looked at each other...the wolf, starving and cold....the dog, well fed and fat.

"Poor wolf. You look cold and hungry. Why don't you come inside with me for a while? There is food in my bowl, and water. You can have it. The fire will warm you and you will feel much better", said the dog.

The wolf was tempted. Surely this fellow canine was friendly. The cottage looked solid and inviting. Looking through the door, wolf could see the filled bowls waiting for him. The warmth of the fire and a woolen rug to lay on, beckoned him. Wolf was tempted. He started to enter the cottage, then He stopped. He asked,"Dog, what is that around your neck?"

Dog answered, "It is my collar. Master put it there so He can chain me if He needs to."

Wolf turned and went away.

Moral of the story: Freedom first.

Why did I post this folk tale? Because I had a flashback of a news story I saw on TV. It was of an all inclusive senior living facility ...happens to be in Florida. They promised to take care of our seniors...all inclusive. There were apartments and free meals. Medical attention was available when needed.....even a nursing home for resident's last days. It was on the news, showing an elderly man so weak, He could not raise himself from his bed. He was starving to death. It seems the facility did a very poor job of caring for the residents...but of course, it collected the money ...all that the seniors had. They had no money to leave the facility and no family to call for help.

I remember how my mother was taken care of in an Assisted Living facility. She was outspoken and difficult to control. So they doped her up with Attlivan to shut her up. She sat in a chair in a haze of dope...I watched her muscles atrophy from last of use. I was afraid in her weakened condition, she would fall and break a hip. The pupils of her eyes were contracted into tiny points. She was cold as ice. Her lungs were filled with mucus...so much for good care...

That facility wasn't doing my mother a favor. They learned she was a full paying guest...not on Medicare. So they wanted her to stay...very profitable to them. Mom deteriorated to a point she was eligible for the next level of care...and more expensive as well. The facility was working to be eligible to open an Alzheimer's wing and Mom was to go in it. Mom did not have Alzheimer's disease. To be in an Azheimer's wing and not have the disease? It sounded like a nightmare. I basically kidnapped her and took her home across state lines without the approval of the court.

My reward for defying the courts was to see her brighten up. She was off all medication. My physician put her on a full range of nutritional supplements. I encouraged her to walk. We did things together. Her defiant behavior disappeared. She relaxed. That last year of my mother's life was a gift to me....memories I will always cherish.

Never ever believe anyone...or any institution... who says they will provide for you.....Never believe in turning your life over to someone else...including the government. Never believe it when they say they will help you. What they mean is, they are planning on helping themselves to your assets. .Believe them at your peril. When you put your life in someone Else's hands, you give up your freedom to act for yourself...a bad bargain in my opinion.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Completely agree! I'm not sure what will happen to me in my old age, but I hope that wherever I am, someone will be listening to me and not think that my wants are inconsequential just because I am old.

7:53 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

We were born into the wrong culture. We should be Chinese, Indian, or some other nationality that values their elderly for the accumulation of wisdom over a lifetime. In those cultures, the elderly are respected. In our culture, the elderly are a bother.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home