Saturday, October 25, 2008

When life is long, friends are lost. They are lost through a move, new job, lost address in the address book and some are lost through death. Those that are left are very precious to me. Those people know what life was like in the old neighborhood. They lived in the same type house I lived in. They walked the same halls of the elementary school and high school. They wore the same clothes. We played in the same vacant lot and skated at the roller rink together. Over time, they suffer setbacks, divorces, loss of parents. Life happens, both the good and the bad.
I've written about the wonderful reunion with the Cambridge Street gang. Cambridge represents the elementary school years. Now I've found another group, the ones I went to high school with. Barbara and I are emailing each other. It doesn't matter that We are living at opposite sides of the country, We are now in touch. Barbara answered the questions that have remained unanswered all these years. I know that Diane died in her 20s, but I did not know that Colleen and Marilyn were also deceased. One couple had a good marriage. They stayed faithful to each other for 50 years. Bruce is now a widower. I had a crush on Bruce in high school . He played the Hammond Organ for special assembly in the auditorium. He was good. He played in church and I think, He played at restaurants when having live music was the thing.
One thing I never saw coming, was the deterioration of special friends. It makes me pause and bow my head.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

I think that everyone gets to a point where they want to reconnect with their youth. I held onto my high school connections for years until one day I realized that we all had gone such different ways - I think we ran out of things to talk about. Who knows, though - I may look to reconnect again at another stage of life. It's nice that you found these people.

9:39 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

We have all had different life experiences,so We are all different. It doesn't matter. I cheer their successes and worry about their problems. We talk about the old days and inform each other about today's news. In this way, We stay connected dispite our different financial, health, geographic differences. The more fragile they become, the more prescious they are to me. The world is very different from when I was growing up. In memory, it is those fuzzy black and white photographs. Only those people who were there know what it was like. There is comfort in that. Without that connection, I would live in an strange world. Looking backward gives me direction. I know where I came from and can see where I am going.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home