Thursday, July 06, 2006

God wants Andy to be safe in a place of his own. As he was traveling from Fort Worth to Milford, I saw a notice in the paper that the Milford Housing Authority had opened their list for new applicants. In 25 years living here, I never saw that list opened. I took it as a sign. One of the first things I had Andy do when He arrived, was to fill out the application and get it in the mail before the closing date.
Second step was to receive a notice back that Andy made the lottery. There were over 300 applicants and less than 100 went on the list. See, I told you God wants Andy in housing.
Third step: We got a copy of his birth certificate...took that to the Department of Motor Vehicles and got an updated photo ID. We were going to do that anyways , apart from housing.
It seems that the fourth step was a notice to go to an orientation session. At the session, they want to see Andy's social security card, a photo ID and his birth certificate. Everything fell into place. What perfect timing.
Andy was interviewed. The Administrator was very kind. She did not promise anything, but I am sure that within three months or so, Andy will have a place of his own. God is watching over my disabled grandson.
We went out and celebrated. I had a steak. Andy had pasta. He's a cheap date.
Update: There was one document missing for His application. That was a verification of income. Andy called social security to send a copy of his Notice of Benefit...the missing document. Social Security said they would send it. I started to worry, because July 17 was the deadline to apply. Each day, I checked the mail box for the missing document. It wasn't there. On the last day, it appeared. I drove it over to Housing Administration, with only hours to spare. So far, so good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Yay!! I am so happy to hear this. I can't wait to see his new place. This is a huge step for him and I suppose he probably feels a little scared and excited all at the same time. xoxoxox

2:46 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

Me too. I am happy for him and glad for myself. I will finally get my spare bedroom back. The plan is to turn it into my studio...gets the clutter out of sight.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home