Monday, June 26, 2006

We're spread out all over the place, so seeing family means traveling. Robert, grandson number 6 graduated from high school in Syracuse NY. We're proud of Robert because He did so well in school...despite fights with his brother who messes up their shared room, despite having no real place to study, despite living in a neighborhood that encourages crime and drugs. Robert did more than OK. He was the 17th top graduate in a class of about 275 students. He has a full scholarship to R.I.T in Rochester. He got academic awards. (CHEERS!!)
The day of graduation, happy chaos erupted. The pants Robert wanted to wear under the cap and gown, had a split seam. His brother borrowed a white shirt from Dad, then promptly got the sleeves dirty. Mother's outfit, somehow shrunk from leaving the store to the graduation day. It didn't fit. Picture mad scene looking for clothes. In the end, the situation sorted itself out. No one went to the graduation naked.
At the War Memorial, picture hoards of graduates and six times that number of parents, siblings and guests...all shouting. I couldn't hear a thing during the ceremony, but if memory serves me right, no one says anything from the stage worth remembering. My memory of the preliminary ceremony consists of the people sitting near me, talking on their cell phone, people getting up and walking around, the little girl behind me playing with the seat next to me. ( kick kick ) Picture people waving to other people across the auditorium.
Finally, comes the good part. One by one, the graduates receive their diploma. I run my finger down the program, following the progression of names. It seems that the graduates have cheering sections. As their name is called, the relatives hoot and holler. Gee, We were more orderly when I graduated. All We did, was clap. Some of the graduates do a boogie dance on stage as they receive their diploma. Robert accepts his diploma and leaves the stage. I am burdened down by a camcorder and camera. So are the other members of our group. The ceremony is punctuated by the flashing of cameras. The room twinkles with flash. You couldn't help but feel excited for those who are graduating . The graduates are pronounced graduated. Hoots and cheers fill the room. Caps are thrown in the air....just like the military academy exercise. (How do they find their own cap again?)
At the entrance to the War Memorial, family waits for Robert. It seems the graduating class held some fund raisers and used the money to purchase a goody bag for each graduate. Robert has his bag. Inside with other things, was a lovely stein with the name of the high school, year of graduation...all glazed in the school colors of black and gold. Robert is beaming. I seldom see him smile like this. He sure looks happy.
Everyone has their picture taken with Robert. We take a picture of Robert and his brother with their Dad. The crowd is thinning out. To the cars. We needed two to get to the graduation site.
Next stop: The Olive Garden. One member of our group is allergic to fish, so our first choice of a seafood restaurant was scratched. Seven people take up the long table and talk and laughter are exchanged. Cameras and camcorder keep recording. I am the matriarch of the family, so I preside over my court. Robert is at the other end of the table.
We order a banquet. drinks, appetizers, salads, bread sticks, main course, and dessert. We devour it all. Not a crumb left. No one can eat another bite, either. I am out of film.
On the way home, I learn that people I know, were at the graduation. One of their family graduated with Robert. If I had known that, perhaps We could have coordinated to meet at the same restaurant. Oh well. It's too late now. The film is dropped off to be developed.
The next day, I pick up the pictures and deliver them to the house. Robert is sleeping.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

Hurray for Robert! I am really pleased for him and the family. Can't wait to catch up with everyone.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home