Saturday, May 06, 2006

Today is packing day. It is time to get ready for my drive to Syracuse. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just lock the door and go? This happens only in my dreams. It takes me a full week to get out the door. I have to stop the mail, be sure the lawn is cut at both places, take out the garbage so I don't come home to a rotten smell, stock up on groceries so Andy doesn't starve, do the laundry...same smell issue and need for clean clothes . All bills must be paid, to avoid a late charge.

Rascal goes to the groomer for a bath and to have her nails done. To think of it, I never have my own nails done. They look terrible. I have hang nails, rough nails, split nails, dirt under my nails. Come to think of it, my hair doesn't look that good either. My dog looks better than I do.

My tenant gives me the rent check. The only thing is, I can't cash it before it is dated, and it is dated in the middle of my trip. What shall I do with this check? Hold it until I get back? What about my master card bill? Will I get a late charge if I don't get back in time to pay this bill? My tenant, Tina, suggests that she will deposit the check for me on the date it is due. Gratefully, I give Tina a deposit slip and her check back with my endorsement. I can trust that she will make the deposit for me. I shall pay the master card charge on-line, from Syracuse.

The month is May. This is the gardener's month. If I don't get my plants in this month, they won't do very well in June. If I leave my seedlings alone until the 17th, my return date, they will have dried up...dead and gone. I sprouted a tray of cucumbers, tomatoes and other vegetables. They can't be left to sit all this time. There is only one option: I am taking them with me, in the back of the truck. In this way, they will be watered every day. A whole day is spent getting cells ready to accept separated seedlings. Each seedling is separated out and put into its own cell. This takes half a day.

I called Beth several times. Shall I bring the Aerobed? Do I need to bring blankets and a pillow? I bought some things for Beth. Does she want the pillow for her bench? Would she like some extra spices I bought? I have duplicates. Beth says yes to all of it. The stuff gets packed.

Then, there is the electronic issue. I am bringing my SLR Pentax, my digital Olympus camera and my cam corder. The Pentax is giving me trouble. The film doesn't advance, so it goes to the camera shop ...the trip before the trip. A fresh roll of film is loaded into the camera. The camera calls my name. I roam around the backyard, taking pictures of flowers. We haven't left yet and I've used up half a roll of film.

I thought I had all of Saturday to pack the Ranger truck. Dreaming again. Stephen and Allison come over in the morning. They want to borrow my truck. Stephen needs to move furniture from Allison's house to his new apartment. ...and He's hungry. Grandson gets fed. Truck disappears.

People keep saying I shouldn't be driving alone without some way to call for help. I keep thinking that if I keep the Ranger in good mechanical shape and drive defensively, I've covered myself. I don't believe in security. There is no such thing as security, just statistical probabilities. I take my chances. Never-the-less, I am finally convinced to purchase a cell phone. I buy the cheapest one I can get away with, because I am not a telephone talker person. The phone is for business only. It'll do the job of calling for help on the highway. ..if I need to. This is at least the third phone I've purchased. I get frustrated with them and give them away to my grandsons. This one seems easier to read the numbers. Stephen sets the phone volumn to high. He tests it for me. I can hear it just fine. I can turn it on and turn it off. That's about all I want from my phone for now.

Judy is so excited about our visit. She has a long list of things she wants to do. Silly me. I thought she was recovering from a brain operation. I visualized myself as her nurse, cooking and doing her laundry, bringing her a cup of tea. Not Judy. She is planning on an early discharge. She wants to go to a miniature show the day I arrive. Judy has called our common Quaker Friends to tell them that I shall be in town. I smell socializing coming up. Judy has a chair with a caned bottom that needs fixing. Could I look at it while I am here? Of course. My chair caning materials go into the truck. I get a call from Judy's friend, Herb. Herb has been visiting Judy in the hospital. He reports that the doctor had lifted a big piece of Judy's scalp. About half her hair is gone. She has a big bandage around her head. Judy still plans on making it to the miniature show. Some people got guts!

It is now getting dark on the evening before I am to leave. Andy, Stephen and Allison have left to go to a club. Alone at last! NOW I can pack the suitcase. How do other people manage to just lock the door and leave?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home