Thursday, March 16, 2006

Boxes and boxes and boxes They're all over the house. That's what happens when you combine two households into one. Gee, I'd like the house to make a nice presentation for the wedding reception / family reunion. The boxes are gathered and make the trip to the basement, except for four boxes. I discovered that they contain paper....lots of paper. Surely I can let some of this paper go. Time to dig through and discard.
The boxes contain my past, my husband's past and his parent's past. They are filled with letters, report cards, graduation certificates, newspaper obituaries, birthday cards, things cut out and saved.
The day is spent opening old letters and remembering ....a trip down memory lane. Some letters are interesting, others make me laugh. Some letters bring tears to my eyes. I found the autograph album I had in elementary school and the other one from high school. Where are these people now? Some names seem familiar, but I can't remember who they are, or who they were.
I have letters from world war one and world war two. Who are these people who speak to me from their written words? Several letters were written by my grandfather to my soon to be grandmother. I knew little of these people who produced my father.
Again I am supported and encouraged by friends when my husband died. Three women wrote to me frequently. We're still friends even through We live in separate states.. I see evidence that I went to Meeting For Worship in Auburn Prison. Some of the prisoners wrote to me. Letters speak to me that I am special to the writer. I have commendation letters from work. There are Documents from my involvement in the National Peace Academy . Best wishes cards say goodbye from old employers, signed by the entire department. Contacts from various workshops and committees come alive again.
Set aside for my daughters and their families are letters that they wrote to me. They tell of coping as a young bride with no money, of babies and activities. Husbands divorced because of good reason, reports of children growing up. I will give these letters to my daughters at the reunion....their "report cards" on their life and where it has taken them.
The very old letters from my second husband's family??? I think they will be sold for their stamps. My father-in-law's collection from his career in the Fire Department shall be donated to the Fire Museum in our state.
It is very hard to clean up an old house saturated with history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home