Friday, August 18, 2006

The family reunion is right around the corner. This is the time that my mind turns to fuzz.
I can't think of a single recipe to feed my family. One grandson is a vegetarian. Another grandson is strictly vegan. Both sons-in-law are carnivores. They would like big chunks of bloody animal carcass.
Some would like wine or beer at the celebration. Two others are recovering alcoholics, so no wine or beer.
A wedding picnic requires a special cake, but several family members are diabetic. Maybe We should not serve sodas because of the sugar. The ladies are watching their weight, but....it's a celebration, so no calorie counting. I am madly cutting out recipes and checking the cookbooks on my shelf....there are lots of cookbooks, collected over time. None of them appeals to me.
Then, there is the matter of who pays. It is the custom at family gatherings, that each brings something to add to the party. In this way, no one person is stuck with all the work or all the costs.
Unfortunately, some members of my family are flat broke. One is relocating. Another lost his license and his job. He is saving madly to pay fines and buy a car, insurance, license...the usual. No one has money to spare.
My oldest daughter and her husband are spending a lot of money to fly up from Australia.
The other daughter and husband can barely put gas in the car and pay the tolls to drive down here. I think I know who will be paying the most.
We got the sleeping arrangements worked out. I have enough dishes. I'll serve buffet style, as my table can't accommodate a sit down dinner. The main entertainment will be getting reacquainted with each other, as providence has scattered us to the far corners of the world.
Family reunions take a lot of work. They don't happen often enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home