Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dad's workbench

DAD'S WORKBENCH.    It was made of lumber.  My Dad and his friend, Harold, put it together in the basement.   It has been around for as long as I can remember.    Dad really used this work station.  He repaired radios.  I would watch.  He would explain.  He explained magnetism by magnetizing a knife blade.  He put metal filings on a sheet of paper and ran the knife blade under the paper.  The filings lined up showing magnetic lines of force.  He showed me positive and negative .  He glued the paper back down on speakers that had developed a "buzz".  I watched him solder wires.    The world of science was opened to me by watching Dad at his work bench.

Years have passed.  I have the work bench.  It is in my beach house .  It has gotten soaked by floods, but still it is one piece.    After the last flood, the lower level...aka...the "apartment" ...had to be redone.    The contractor did a very good job...except He could not stand to see that old slivered, beat up workbench being placed in the new construction.

Ted...that's his name....took the workbench apart, put it in his truck and without permission from me, dumped it in my garage at the house on Park Circle.  I was really mad at him, as I need work space in the beach house.

It turns out that Ted has done me a favor.  The work bench is reassembled in the basement on Park Circle.  It is placed at right angles to my father-in-law's work bench.  In memory I see my husband working on car parts on his Dad's work bench.  I intend to work on my Dad's work bench, too.

I will move all my art supplies to the basement.  I will have a light installed by the electrician.  I will have a new counter top installed.  My sewing supplies can come down stairs, too...and the ironing board.  I have found a nice place to "putter".  My  Dad's workbench is for clean projects...like watercolors.  My father-in-law's workbench is for dirty projects, like sawing wood and painting.

Neat!

Update:   My contractor is here.   I ask him to attach the countertop I had  purchased to the workbench.  He points out the bow in the countertop.  He can attach the back-splash only on the ends.  The length is not correct.  The top is poorly made.  (sigh).  It goes back to the store.  There is still no counter-top on the work bench, but the lower shelf has been put to use....not as I had intended, but useful.    The plumber is installing a tankless hot water tank in the basement.  The best wall for this project happens to have shelves where I keep my gardening supplies.   The gardening supplies are moved to the lower shelf of the work bench....temporarily, I hope.   This clears the wall for the tankless tank.

Meanwhile, upstairs, all the art materials sit in boxes and bins in the hall way.  The plumber needs to finish his project...... before I can relocate all the gardening supplies,..... which clears the work bench, making a space for the art materials,...... which clears the upstairs hall way. 


 and....still no countertop.  I think I will just buy a piece of 3/4 finished plywood and throw that on top.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home