Sunday, August 22, 2010

My grandson is 32, divorced and wants to start a family. Chris wants to remarry and settle down. The love of his life lives in Raleigh, where Chris once lived and where He met Tara. Chris is doing very well at his job in Connecticut. The only thing is the job isn't in North Carolina. He makes a big decision. Chris gives notice that he is leaving the job and moving to North Carolina....without a new job lined up and in a national recession. He has a recruiter looking for a job for him. The one He wants is with Red Hat and a computer system called lynix...I may have misspelled the system's name.
He gives a month's notice to his boss....very professional of him. They don't want him to leave. He is firm. OK. They start to look for his replacement. Chris gets to interview his replacement...This will look good on his resume. He gets to train an intern. This will also look good on his resume. The boss praises Chris in front of the staff. This is also very very good for my grandson. He states to me that He has made good changes for this company and they appreciate it. They still don't want him to go. Finally they make an offer He can't refuse: until the new job comes in, will He stay on as a consultant? With a computer and a phone line, He can still work for them from Raleigh and collect a salary. Chris says yes.
It is time to pack. He packs his car to the roof . He packs my truck also to the roof. There is no space for anything more....but everything my grandson owns is there and about to be moved. We turn on our cells phones and off We go. I have Captain Jack as my copilot. Jack and I stop for breakfast, but Chris goes on ahead. Chris is about an hour ahead of me. The weekend traffic is awful. The heat and humidity is awful. Chris calls me on my cell. There is a 2 hour wait to get over the George Washington bridge. It is all volume traffic. By the time We get to Virginia, I am tiring. I call him and say that I am stopping in Richmond. Will He stop too? No. Chris wants to drive straight through. I stop at Motel 6 in Richmond because they allow dogs in the room.
Captain Jack loves the ride. The motion of the car puts him to sleep. I have a sleeping four year old puppy next to me the entire ride.
Next day I arrive at Holly Springs...our destination. My hostess and her little girl could not be nicer. We find that We have much in common. Chris has told me about Tara and I feel I know her before We met. She feels the same way. The little girl gives Captain Jack a bath. He stands perfectly still in the bath, so He remembers other baths. Holiday is delighted to have a puppy to play with. Captain Jack likes her too.
The afternoon is spent in the community pool. It is lovely. I love this pool and can stay in it all day. It is a salt water pool...the first time I've been in a salt water pool. By using salt, they don't have to use as much chlorine....which is a poison. This is one healthy pool.
Dinner is as the Gypsy Shiny Diner. I love diners and this seems to be the only one in the entire state of North Carolina. Holiday is falling asleep at the table. Time to go home.
It is bedtime. I have the couch which is fine with me. Holiday is put to bed. I am moved to hear Tara ask Holiday what is she grateful for? I had never asked my children that. Holiday gets to answer that question every night. One thing that Holiday is grateful for is playing with Jack.
It is time to turn out the lights and go to bed. Captain Jack won't sleep on my bed as He usually does. He insists on sleeping with Holiday. Good dog.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Melanie O. said...

I'm really looking forwards to moving back to the Raleigh area, myself - hopefully in the not too distant future. I'm so happy for Chris and Tara!

1:47 AM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

Me too.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home