Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Carol, Pat and I have a tradition. We get together in the week between Christmas and New Years. We meet at Pat's house, exchange presents and have a meal. This year, I made a suggestion that We go to the movies. Wednesday is senior day. Tickets are $4.50. We should go on Wednesday. Carol and Pat agreed. Let's pick up take out food and come to my house. It's closest to the mall. We've done take out before because it is quick, everyone gets what they want and no one has to cook.

While We're at it, let's invite some other friends. Carol and Pat know Judy and Doris. Let's invite Judy and Doris as well.

It is one day before the movie day and no one has set up the schedule. I make the calls. Doris has a French lesson. She won't be free until after 2. Judy wants to come, but she wants to eat lunch before the movie We can eat at the food court. She can't stay late. Carol doesn't want to eat lunch. If she eats lunch, she says she will fall asleep in the movie. She wants to eat after the movie.

This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy. Carol wants Pat to pick her up. Now let's see: Pat lives the farthest east of the movie and Carol lives the farthest west. That means that Pat has to go way out of her way to get Carol. If I think about it, the most efficient way to pick each other up is for either Doris or Carol...driving east...to pick me up. Pat should come alone driving west. We all meet in the middle.

By email, I ask each friend to look over what movies are playing and the time. Let me know which movie you want to see. Two movies get all the votes...split evenly. If We go to the one that shows earliest, Doris has to skip her Franch lesson, but We will eat after the show, which will be OK with Carol. However, Judy will miss the meal.

If We go to the other movie that shows later....oh forgetaboutit. In the middle of all the phone calls, I have a power outage. It's not just me. The entire area is pitch black. My cordless phone doesn't work. The lights are out. The house starts to cool.

There are candles and matches upstairs. In the dark, I locate the flashlight...which shows me the way upstairs to the candles. Candles, matches, flashlight are on the diningroom table. I have my cell phone...which works. I call Carol. The call doesn't go through. Oh, that's right. Her phone is out as well as mine. By candle light, I find the address book, which has her cell phone number. It isn't programmed in my phone. At last We can talk to each other. Pat calls me several times...getting a busy signal, as I am on the phone with Carol.

Finally Pat gets through. She has power. She has email up and running. Pat emails Doris and Judy that our final decision is to go to the movie that shows the earliest. Pat will pick up Carol. We'll discuss a late lunch when We're all together.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home