Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The grass is cut. We've had a lot of rain, so the grass is lush and green. Cut...it looks like green velvet. Progress shows from years of working on the yard. My peach tree looks good, viburnum, lilacs, wygelia, hydrangea, daffodils, tulips, grape Hyacinth, iberius, one holly hock, roses....strawberries and two pear trees. The basics are in place. It is so nice to just stand and look. The sun is getting low. Shadows fall across the lawn, so peaceful. I spent the morning at River Crest Farm, shopping for plants. Chinese forget me not, morning glory were purchased and planted. The geraniums I had overwintered are also planted. The peas and beans sprouted in the window. They get planted along with lettuce . My maple tree has gifted me with lots of little maple tree seedlings. They have to be pulled out by hand...one by one. If not, I will have a forest of maple trees. Grass grows in the beds. It, too, will have to be pulled out, but not today. It's quitting time for the day.

One large maple tree is cut down. It is at the corner of the garage with branches hanging over the roof of the garage. If a branch falls, it will damage the roof. The roots have raised the driveway, so the tree has to go. I left the trunk standing about eaves high. It will rot and become a home to a woodpecker, if I am lucky.

With the tree gone, three dead trees are discovered. They are on my side of my neighbor's fence, but technically, they belong to my neighbor. The fence is not on his property line. We confer. The dead trees have to go. If We have a windstorm, they will come down....on my garage roof or his fence. We split the cost. The total is four trees removed for this season. By coincidence, the very next night, We have high winds. We were just in time.

My grandson is putting up a fence for me...all by himself. It isn't an architectural fence. It is a plain wire mesh fence with metal posts. It is a utility fence. It is just what I wanted. Half the fence is up. I can't wait until the whole fence is up. Stephen gets the gates from my deck on Melba Street. They were to be discarded when the new deck goes on. The gates turn out to not be square. My grandson has to take them apart and rebuild them. Stephen will use them on my utility fence. A fence is like a blanket...enclosing and protecting. It will also keep Lily in the back yard.

Tomorrow , I hope to finish transplanting the little seedlings I started indoors. I have cosmos, flax and goji berries. The gojiberries were a gift from Jake, a neighbor. It will take years before I can harvest the berries. Can't wait to do that. ...I can harvest the berries if the squirrels don't get there first.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I think it's wonderful that you've been busy with your gardening. I can't wait to see the progress you've made when I come visit.

6:12 PM  
Blogger gardenbug said...

We're having lots of rain, so everything is flurishing.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home